Car donations are another way to support the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
When you donate a car to Cars for Homes, you will help your local Habitat for Humanity build and rehabilitate houses with families in need of affordable shelter.
The car donation process is quick and easy. It can be accomplished online or with a toll-free phone call to 1-877-277-4344. If you donate an automobile or other vehicle, you may be eligible for a tax deduction.
What Can You Donate?
- Construction or farm equipment
- Any other vehicle ― running or not!
- Proceeds from the sale of your car help your local Habitat for Humanity build and renovate houses with families in need.
- You may receive a tax deduction if you itemize.
- Recycling your car saves energy and natural resources.
How do I start the vehicle donation process?
- Call Cars for Homes toll-free at 1-877-277-4344 or make your boat, truck, RV or car donation online.
- You will be asked to provide information about the vehicle you wish to donate, including the make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage.
- Most vehicles with proper title information are accepted, unless the costs of processing and towing fees exceed the auction value of the vehicle.
What happens after my vehicle is accepted?
- You will be given instructions for processing the vehicle’s title. If the title cannot be located, assistance is available.
- Your donated car is then assigned for pickup and sale.
- Arrangements are then made to have the title processed.
- You will be contacted to coordinate the vehicle and key pickup by a licensed and insured member of the national network of contractors who work for Advanced Remarketing Services, Habitat for Humanity’s authorized agent.
What happens after my vehicle is picked up?
- Your vehicle will be sold through a national network of diverse venues on behalf of Habitat for Humanity.
- After the car has been sold, you will receive an acknowledgement letter thanking you for your support and providing the vehicle sale information. This letter may be used as a receipt for tax deduction purposes; additional tax documents will be provided when required by IRS regulations as a result of the sale value of the vehicle.
Cars for Homes: Tax benefits of your car donation
Can I claim my car donation as a tax deduction?
Yes. Habitat for Humanity is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions, including vehicle donations, may be claimed as deductions on your federal tax return if you itemize on Schedule A of Form 1040.
How much can I deduct?
- Once Cars for Homes sells your vehicle, the selling price becomes the amount of your donation.
- If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you may deduct the full selling price.
- If your vehicle sells for $500 or less, you can deduct the “fair market value” of your vehicle, up to $500.
How do I figure out the “fair market value” of my car?
The following websites can provide this information:
What documentation will I receive for my tax return?
Within 30 days of the sale of your vehicle, Habitat will send you a written acknowledgement/receipt. This receipt will include:
- The gross selling price of the vehicle (if it sold for greater than $500).
- Year, make, model and vehicle identification number information.
- A statement that the vehicle was sold at arms-length between two unrelated parties.
- A statement that no goods or services were received in return for your contribution.
Cars for Homes: Frequently asked questions
What is Cars for Homes?
- Habitat for Humanity’s national car donation program.
- The program is staffed by full-time Habitat for Humanity employees who monitor and manage all activities undertaken by Advanced Remarketing Services, Inc.
- Proceeds from all sales through Cars for Homes go to your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate.
Who is Advanced Remarketing Services, Inc.?
- Habitat’s authorized national agent that processes all vehicle donations to Habitat for Humanity.
- ARS handles title transfer, towing and reporting of all vehicle donations.
- ARS accepts vehicle donations online through CarDonationWizard.com and via their call center at 1-877-277-4344.
How does the Cars for Homes vehicle donation process work?
- Read more here: How car donations work.
What kinds of vehicles can be donated?
- Recreational vehicles
- Farm equipment
- Construction equipment
What if the vehicle is not running?
- Cars for Homes accepts any vehicle as long as it is whole and has four inflated tires (so it can be moved by our towing operators).
- In rare cases, Cars for Homes may be unable to accept a vehicle if the cost of transport and processing fees would exceed the auction value of the vehicle.
How long will it take to have my vehicle picked up?
- Donated vehicles are typically picked up within two or three days after the title is received by our processing center.
- You can speed up the donation process by providing information and downloading documents online.
- Special arrangements can be made whenever car donations must be made more quickly.
What documents do I need to donate a car?
- Most states require a clear title to the vehicle, and some states also require a notarized signature or additional forms to complete a vehicle donation.
- If you cannot locate or have lost the certificate of title, we can help you obtain the proper documentation and forms.
What if the vehicle is not registered in my name?
- The vehicle does not need to be registered in your name.
- The name on the title may often differ from the name on the registration documents.
- Call Cars for Homes at 877-277-4344 for more information.
How do I know my vehicle is in good hands once it’s been picked up?
- Habitat for Humanity uses a licensed and insured national transportation network and complies with all federal and state regulations.
- By signing the title directly to Advanced Remarketing Services, you are legally transferring ownership of your vehicle to Habitat for Humanity.
- When your title is received and your vehicle is picked up, you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
How much of the money generated by the sale of my car donation goes to Habitat for Humanity?
- On a monthly basis, Advanced Remarketing Services returns over 80 percent of the gross revenue generated from vehicle sales to Cars for Homes. This percentage is more than any other vehicle processing entity.
What are the tax benefits of donating my car to Habitat for Humanity?
- Read more here: Tax benefits of your car donation.
What if I have more questions?
- Contact us at email@example.com.